Click here to view a slideshow of all history photos
August 1944 is the earliest records we have of this church.
Rev. Thomas Latta resigned and his son, Rev. Sam Latta was elected Pastor. He and his wife served the church faithfully and again God blessed with steady growth. Pastor Latta was a skilled brick-layer and God used that talent in building a new church at 2325 46th Street in Moline. In 1964 God called the Lattas to Africa as missionaries. Their faithfulness and hard work provided this church with the faith to move forward and prepared the way for “Mr. Sunday School.”
Rev. and Mrs. Urban T. Vanderhoff came to the Quad-Cities and started the Moline Pentecostal Church and a ledger of our humble beginnings is still on file at the church. That first month the total income was $23.30, $17.30 tithes and $6.00 offering. The first actual business meeting was held on Thursday, April 25, 1946. At that time the members present voted unanimously to establish the local Pentecostal assembly. The also voted to adopt the local church by-laws of the recently formed United Pentecostal Church International. Property was secured on 27th Street in Moline—we paid $25.00 down and $25.00 per month. The Vanderhoff family stayed as Pastor until May 16, 1948. We are thankful for the foundation they established to allow the future to build upon. This church shall forever be indebted to them and only eternity will reveal the total impact made by their sacrifice.
In 1948 Rev. and Mrs. Thomas Latta answered the call and became Pastor. The church out-grew the facilities and moved to a larger place of worship above a bakery in downtown Moline. God’s blessings continued to be upon this church and many souls were added to the kingdom of God. We are thankful for the years of commitment that allowed this church to continue to grow.
Rev. and Mrs. Wayne Mitchell (also known as “Mr. Sunday School”) left Quincy, IL and came to Pastor Whole Truth Tabernacle. They aggressively launched into reaching children—with a peak of over 500 children being brought to Sunday school each week. Property was purchased on John Deere Expressway and construction of the “Million Dollar Mission” began. A 32,000 square-foot building on 17.5 acres was completed and the first service was held in November 1977. The 15 year mortgage was paid off nearly one year early. Pastor Mitchell retired in 1999 and held a place of honor until his death in the Spring of 2004. His widow, Gloria Mitchell is still a member of the church and continues to hold a place of honor—we are blessed by her presence.
Rev. and Mrs. Richard Plunk followed her father as Pastor in 1999 and served until the end of 2005. Rev. Plunk had a vision of reaching out to the entire Quad-Cities; one way of seeing that happen was through the daughter work concept. Under his leadership three works were planted—The Apostolic Sanctuary of Geneseo (formerly The Jesus Church), El Santuário Apostólico, and The Apostolic Sanctuary of Rock Island. In addition we began a new ministry called JC Prayer Force that brought us together in fourteen homes around the area for monthly prayer and fellowship. We also completed renovation of the sanctuary, foyer, and the Sunday school/education department. Their ministry of music and Word touched many lives and continued to build upon the great tradition of this church.
Rev. and Mrs. Gary L. Randol were elected as our Senior Pastor in January 2006 and are leading us into the next phase of ministry. On a weekly basis we minister to over 900—Sunday school, Satellite Sunday School, Nursing Home ministry, Jail and Prison ministry, and Men/Women Shelters. Just a few weeks after his election, the church voted to sell our property to Wal-Mart and launch into a massive building program. We had our first worship service on January 7, 2009. A Sanctuary (seating nearly 900), office complex, a Spanish church, a Youth fellowship/activity room, a Children’s Sanctuary, twelve Sunday school classrooms, a fellowship hall, and gymnasium are included in the nearly 57,000 sq foot facility. In addition, plans are being made to start a Daycare to continue our desire of reaching out into our community with ministry and service.